Greengate House in Plaistow, East London is a former YMCA building constructed in 1919-1921. The building was of particular local interest when it operated as a YMCA centre and as a result was Grade II listed. The building has a particularly grand ornate street façade, typical of the period’s grand public buildings. Sadly in recent years the building had been forgotten, left abandoned to rot with no foreseeable future. The re-imagining of Greengate House encompassed the retention of the grand façade – with 64 new apartments for shared ownership being constructed behind it. In addition, the former YMCA basement swimming pool was removed to create a 36-space car park for the new residents.
The remainder of the building was demolished and asbestos removed to make way for a new wing of accommodation within the original footprint. The large car park situated behind the former Greengate House has been utilised to construct additional affordable homes in a low-rise mews. ‘Green’ sedum-based roof technology and biomass boilers were central to the environmental and renewable energy strategy of the development. The buildings have been grouped around a private landscaped courtyard.
Client: Tower Homes (part of L&Q)
Contract Value: £10.1m
Architect: Levitt Bernstein
Quantity Surveyor: BPM Project Management