St Paul’s Church was commissioned by the social reformer William Wilberforce and completed in 1833. The building fabric has suffered chronic problems with damp, stone decay and serious structural defects.
The first phase of work dealt with the defects, using best practice conservation techniques. The second phase of work saw the construction of a new reception area and conversion of the undercroft into the Wilberforce Crypt. This provided the building with proper amenities, hall and step-free access for the first time.