Located in the leafy Highbury New Park conservation area, St. Augustine’s Church dates from 1869. Designed by architects Haberson & Brock, the tall and voluminous building was, as is the case with so many parish churches, struggling to meet the balance of modern needs whilst maintaining the historic structure.
Architects HMDW were approached to undertake a feasibility and development plan to get the best out of the building. In the late 1960s the building had been sub-divided to provide activity halls and attendant facilities, but left the church with an impracticable layout. The outdated heating system also left the parishioners feeling rather cold in the winter months. The project developed a phased approach, in which the first priority was to provide up to date kitchen and toilet facilities to serve the existing halls and worship space, and to renew the heating system.
PCC of St. Augustine’s Church
Kilby & Gayford
Ellis + Moore