This grand and substantial structure built in the Jacobean style was designed by Sir Henry Tanner for the Land Registry. Finished in 1913, the Grade II listed building housed the headquarters of government agency until early this year when it was sold to the London School of Economics (LSE). Built of Tucker’s of Leicestershire red brick and Stancliffe Derbyshire sandstone, the 9-bay building draws on a number of classic Jacobean style characteristics including Dutch Gables, mullioned bays and poly-chromatic banding.
As part of an asset sale, the Land Registry sold their headquarters, having relocated to Croydon, to the London School Economics. The LSE already own a number of buildings on Lincoln’s Inn Fields and so it made perfect sense for the institution to purchase the former Land Registry building. Although originally in very good condition and fit-for-purpose, the LSE made a number of changes to suit the academic needs of it’s staff and students.
Lincoln’s Inn Fields, London
London School of Economics
Jestico + Whiles
Ellis + Moore