Francis Holland School, is an independent day school for 425 girls between the ages of 11 and 18. The school was founded in 1878 by the Reverend Canon Francis Holland, and was opened in Baker Street where it remained until 1915. The school was then transferred to it’s new purpose built site near Clarence Gate.
We had had a long standing relationship with the school, overseeing a continuing programme of modernisation and development in order to ensure that the facilities of the school are in-keeping with the rapidly changing needs of modern education. Recently a third wing was built, joining the two ends of the original v-shaped building. This has greatly improved the provision of teaching rooms and Sixth Form facilities and has, in addition, given the school a fine swimming pool in a hall which, by means of a floating floor, doubles up for dry activities.
The school’s new Gloucester Wing has recently opened, providing 5,000 sq. ft. of additional space. Attached directly to the existing building, the former Gloucester Arms pub was originally acquired by the school in 2005 and has since been sensitively combined with the original school building. The large new wing provides the school with enviable new facilities including additional classrooms and seminar rooms, a performance area, for music, drama and theatre studies and a fourth art studio. There is also a lift to allow easier access for the disabled. A stairway allows access between floors, as is the situation in the main building. The main entrance will continue to be located in Ivor Place. The Gloucester Arms itself, dates back to around 1880, but the building was believed to have been there since 1820. The project has, therefore, been architecturally sensitive and great care was taken by the school’s Architect, Robert Johnson, to retain the original pub signage, glass and features.
Regent’s Park, London
Francis Holland School
Ellis + Moore