Greengate House | Plaistow
Greengate House in Plaistow, East London is a former YMCA building constructed in 1919-1921. The building was of particular local interest when it operated as a YMCA centre and as a result was Grade II listed. The building has a particularly grand ornate street façade, typical of period’s grand public buildings. Sadly in recent years the building has been forgotten, left abandoned to rot with no foreseeable future. The re-imagining of Greengate House encompasses the retention of the grand façade – with 64 new apartments for shared ownership being constructed behind it. In addition the former YMCA basement swimming pool will be removed to create a 36-space car park for the new residents.
The remainder of the building will be demolished and asbestos removed to make way for a new wing of accommodation within the original footprint. The large car park situated behind the former Greengate House will be utilised to construct additional affordable homes in a low-rise mews. ‘Green’ sedum-based roof technology and biomass boilers are central to the environmental and renewable energy strategy of the development. The buildings will be grouped around a private landscaped courtyard.
Client: Tower Homes (part of L&Q)
Contract Value: £10.1m
Architect: Levitt Bernstein
Structural Engineer: Ellis & Moore
Quantity Surveyor: BPM Project Management
Planning Supervisor: BPMMS